Friday, October 23, 2015

Pocket Prayer Shawls, aka Pocket Prayer Cloths

I subscribe to a weekly e-newsletter from Lion Brand that highlights new patterns and contains articles about knit and crochet projects.  In a one of their newsletters was an article about Pocket Prayer Shawls.  I was familiar with Prayer Shawl projects, but had not heard about the smaller, very portable prayer cloths, which are small enough to carry in a purse or pocket.

The idea appealed to me, since the pocket prayer cloths work up very quickly. 

The Lion Brand newsletter article mentioned Southern Belle Crochet, which has easy instructions for a Mini Prayer Cloth.

I searched the web for other patterns available.  One site suggested making a granny square to use as a pocket prayer cloth.  While the center of a granny square does look like a cross, it isn't well defined.

I played around a bit with the granny square idea and came up with my own design.


August 2017: A few months back a person asked if this could be modified so it could be made into a baptismal blanket.  Here is my rectangular Cross Granny Square

Granny Pocket Prayer Cloth

Before you begin, say a prayer for the person who will receive the prayer cloth.

Materials:
About 10 yards worsted weight yarn, size G crochet hook
  • Use cotton or 100% wool instead of acrylic if the prayer cloth will be sent to someone in the military, a police officer, firefighter or other first responder.  Acrylic melts and adheres to the skin, causing severe burns. 
  • Some worsted weight yarns are heavier than others.  I switched to an H hook and changed the first ch 5 to ch 4. 

Stitches - U.S. terms:
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
dtr = double treble
sl st = slip stitch

Instructions - please note, this is made just like a traditional Granny Square except one of the "arms" is longer to form a cross.  I posted a few photos below, 1 of round 1 and several for round 2:


ch 5, join with sl st to form ring
r1      ch 3, 2 dc in ring (ch 3 counts as 1 dc)
    ch 3, 3 dc in ring
    ch 5, 3 dtr in ring
    ch 5, 3 dc in ring
    ch 3, join in top of 1st ch-3 with sl st
    do not turn

See photo below of round 1

r2    ch 3, dc in next 2 dc
    2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc in ch-3 sp
    dc in next 3 dc
    5 dc (or 6 dc *see below), ch 1, 2 dc in ch-5 sp
    dc in next 3 dtr
    2 dc, ch 1, 5 dc (or 6 dc *see below) in ch-5 sp
    dc in next 3 dc
    2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc in ch-3 sp
    join with sl st in back loop of 3rd ch of 1st ch-3
(* Vanna's Choice yarn was lighter than what I originally used.  I added an extra dc to keep the cloth from curling.)

See photos below of round 2

 
r3  loosely sl st in back loop of each st around
    sl st in joining sl st from prev round

fasten off, weave in ends 


This is round 1. To start make ch 3 then 2 dc in initial ring.










Beginning of round 2

This and subsequent photos show round 2






End of round 2. Work round 3 next (no photo)



Links to other sites:
Prayer Cloth Ministry/Sending Troops Prayers
Cross Pocket Prayer Cloth
Angel Prayer Cloth

Notes:
4 Apr 2016 Revision: Changed the last joining stitch on round 2.  Added round 3.



Blessings and peace.

20 comments:

  1. Cousin,
    This is Greek to me, but pretty impressive. I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cousin Alan!
      So nice to hear from you. Things are going fairly well. I hope all is well with you and your family.

      Delete
  2. Made one for myself and one for my sister in Christ Sue. *added Heart to back, God's Love. (I will make more for Loved ones) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless. I am happy you like the pattern.

      Delete
    2. do you make a front and back or is it just one piece?

      Delete
    3. Mary Grether. I just saw your comment today, for some reason I don't get notified. This is just one piece, not front and back.

      Delete
  3. Hi Margaret!

    I saw your project for the Pocket Prayer Cloth and just love that idea! I am the editor of AllFreeCrochet and AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns, and I would love to feature your pattern on my site with full credit to you. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial - your full pattern would remain on your site, we would just include basic information and a photo. It's really that simple.

    Please let me know! :)

    Julia, editor for AFC and AFCAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Julia,

      I just came across your post. Thank you.

      I would be delighted to have my project featured on your site. Please feel free to do so.

      Blessings, Margaret

      Delete
  4. Are you using US or UK terminology?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question: On row 2: You have: ch 3, dc in next 2 dc. Then you have: 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc in ch-3 sp. I'm confused on where you put the 2 dc in the second line. Is it in the chain or in the same last stitch where you put the dc? Same with every other line (5dc, etc)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to know this question Jackie Dalton. I just joined Gods Ministries and started today doing 3" squares. ty and Godc Bless. Susan mj , Mn.

      Delete
  6. Cant we use 100% Cotton, Hobby lobby and few others have nice soft feel.??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same question. Did you ever get a response because i love the idea but the second row is confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cofused as well, any feedback that i might have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did 2 dc, ch 1 2 dc in the in the ch 3 sp as the corner of the square. The chain 1 is the actual corner for the second round, so you have 2 dc on the top of the square and 2 on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you please tell me where you placed the 2 DC, I can’t get this to work out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is made just like a Granny Square except one "arm" is made with trebles to make it longer to form a cross. 

    After making the initial ring, the ch 3 counts as a dc, then 2 dc are made in the ring. The subsequent DCs and TRs are also worked in the ring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but this pattern is not working for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where does join in top first chain 3 with slip stitch. Not sure of its location.

    ReplyDelete